Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Honestly...

Writer's block, it's weird how we are constantly obstructed by such a thing when in reality, we always have something to say. Our minds are full of racing thoughts, some of which we aim to overlook, some of which distract us from life's realities, and some of which prevent us from focusing on the matter at hand. Even as we stare into oblivion and it seems as the world is passing us by, our subconscious is working on hidden thoughts, many of which we do not want to accept or recognize. However, there comes a time we must come face to face with the lingering voice inside that we constantly aim to suppress.  At times I wonder how different my life--the world--would be if our thoughts were unveiled. Would we own up to our darkest fears, our darkest secrets, our greatest desires, our most heidous deeds?
The idea of a world where each person's thoughts are vocalized makes me wonder if I could completely embrace truth. Would it be possible to accept and know the most intimate perceptions of me by those closest, knowing that some would not be as nice as I would like? Realizing honesty is one of my core values, I question whether I am always honest to not only those around me but also to myself. Yet, the truth is that we are constantly lying to ourselves and wear masks that are--usually--socially acceptable in order to fit in. According to the Laboratory of Neuro Imaging at University of Southern California, the average individual has 70,000 thoughts per day. We are constantly reinforcing our masks with layers upon layers upon layers of hidden truths that we dare not speak or share because let's face it, the human heart is fragile and despite wanting the truth, we cannot take it. The continual need to connect with another indvidual is embeeded within each and every one of us and loneliness is a persistent reminder of that. So, how is it possible for us to truly be honest when we fear breaking those formed connections with others? Could we consider any of those attachments as real when they are build a series of omissions and slight truths? It then begs the question, what is real? Or better yet, who is real?
Now, I am not saying that people are deceitful and that we should not trust them; however, one should reflect on every relationship and the basis of not only its creation but also its foundation. A shaky foundation built on only superficial conversations is like building a house on sandy grains of dishonesty and omission. The only way to build lasting connections with a person is to unveil our hearts with beats of honesty and chambers of tactfulness. I believe that if we sought to be this way, life would be different. Therefore, I challenge you to ponder on your own relationships and determine what foundation upholds them. As for me, honesty is a value I cherish and will aim to endorse them to the best of my ability.

<3 Claudy

No comments:

Post a Comment